This document was scanned, ocr'ed and slightly edited from the printed 'Dave's Gen'


A link for members of the former London Test Section who were based on Studd St


 Hi-thereL  Not much to report since the February GEN. As usual
 I attended the September meet-up at the Albion, Islington, (for a Lemon &
 Lime'.) and saw some of our former colleagues there. However, I left with
 several others at 2.30 p.m. to miss the evening rush hour.

Those attending were:-
              John Bloomfield, Chris Broome-Smith, Dave Coles,
              Ken Denny, Steve Dickens, Dave Fairhurst,
              Roger Glover, Dennis Laing, Stan Mitchell, John
              Neil, John Reynolds, Roy Thurgood, Harry Vincent,
             Hedley Warner.

             The next meet-up is on Thursday 13th December.

Now let's get on with your letters etc. Many deal with the move from Albion.

Sam Hawkins ... 
Many thanks for your letter regarding the 3 monthly meet-
 ings at the Albion. When I visited the Albion in December I had no diffic-
 ulty in walking from Highbury station to the Albion and as for other locat-
 ions which might be more suitable I cannot say, as my knowledge of the
Highbury pubs is at least 20 years out of date . ..

Hedley Warner ...  
I agree that a change of venue is a good idea as the
Albion is not easy to get to for these who have some problems with walking.
As for a new location, the "The Swan" at Highbury Corner, seems to be the
 best choice as it is close to the Victoria Line. ...

Karl Eastorpe ... 
I am happy to meet (when time allows) at a venue decided
by the regular members. As I am usually only at the Christmas meeting the
venue is really of no trouble to me ...

Ray Potter ... 
Thanks for inviting my input on the "Albion". Personally, I
think it is "past it's sell buy" and would favour the "White Swan". We use
it for the Class of '63 reunions. There is a wide selection of Beers and
Wines at cheap prices, no loud music, and a good selection of meals/snacks.
Ilthink it is a good idea to make it easier for older folk to get to the
venue and as the White Swan is close to Highbury & Islington station it
would be better for everyone .. .

Alan Williams ... 
Thanks for your message re the LTSSAC Reunion. I suppose
that Queen Victoria would have told them to get a carriage, after all the
Albion was originally a coach house;  More seriously though I guess that
age and mobility have to be a consideration as the years roll OH. I don't
know other pubs in the area well enough to recommend any other. As a once a
year man, I'll be happy to go along with what ever is decided but after
Christmas 2007 . . .

John Reynolds ... 
Thanks for your letter regarding the Albion distance from
the Angel. Personally, I have always felt that we have not had good service
from the Albion ever an-d a change could be for the better. As regards the
distance, I do find it quite a drag but I wouldn't be put off coming to ther
 do" because of it. Pubs nearer the Angel are generally rougher and might
be very noisy at Christmas. I would suggest that we give one pub we went to
when it was pouring with rain and the Albion was closed. I don't know the
name but it is on the corner of Cloudesly Road/Square. I think:;

Chris-Broome-Smith ... 
Whilst I'm not against moving from the Albion'I
think the timing of this move is very important. I think we should stick
with the Albion for December and in the meantime agree the new venue and
prepare a "relocation pack" These packs could be discretely distributed at

the December meeting so that all are suitably briefed for the new venue in
March 2008....

Norman Froggett ... 
the last few months I have not been up to scratch, feel-
ing very tired, losing weight, and during the last few weeks have had lots
of blood tests. Originally my doctor said I was leading towards anaemia but
this has now progressed to Leukaemia. A consultation with a specialist con-
firmed this and has started treatment. So, hopefully this will slow progress.

During the last two years I have written and competed a book "Far East Photo-
graphy" 'Sixty years on' The book contains 144 Photographs with brief write
ups taken during the time I was a Wireless Operator in the Royal Air Force.
A posting to the Far East took me to India, Burma, French Indo China, and
Hong Kong. During 1946 I was posted to Saigon where we took over Tan Son
Nhut airfield from the Japanese. Soon after arriving I met a chap by thename
of Frank Gay, who said he was a Cinema Projectionist from Yeovil, Somerset.
Since I was a Cinema Projectionist from London we became very good friends.
Frank and I were involved in building a cinema on the airfield and called it '
 'Odeon' to remind everybody of home. A little while ago I spotted an advert
in 'Yours' magazine "Looking for news Odeon Saigon" It was Frank Gay my old
 good friend, he is still living in Yeovil, just 30 miles from Honiton. I
managed to get his phone number, and the next day he visited me and we spent
eight hours reminiscing our time together in Saigon. Frank left Saigon before
me, and wrote to me to say he was in Rangoon. Aletter from me writing back is
 still in his possession, I read it again, telling him how the cinema was
 running, he had kept it for 61 years, quite an amazing re-union coupled with
 lots of nostalgia ...

John Sutton ... 
Earlier this year, my daughter decided that she needed to be
 "on-line". I have always ignored earlier pleas, remembering those email type
messages, on the BT internal electronic mail system, that had to be read,
 and then deleted, upon one's return to the office, having been away for a
 few days. On the odd occasion, I had used the facilities of the internet off
 ered by my local library, but these had been far between, and did not just-
 ify the expense of having a personal account. Not only that, our first conn-
 ection box is in the hall, halfway up the wall where we have a telephone. I
 had visions of wires trailing through the house. But now we are in the 21st
 century, BT have come up with wireless broadband - no wires, and the phone
 can still be used whilst daughter surfs the WWW.

 So, we have taken the plunge, and it has all gone very well. I opted for the
 three month option of technical backup via a freephone number, with an Eng-
 lish helper who can take over the computer and do all the difficult bits for
 you. I thus ignored the offer of a BT person visiting to do the same thing
 for twenty pounds more for just the one visit, whereas the technical support
 is available all day, every day (The other arrangement was a 3p a minute
 call to India) BT tosses out "spam" for me, provides all the virus protect-
 ion etc, and I find that there is an ever increasing number of people that I
 can contact more easily via email, and order all sorts of goods from my home
 One of the things that I am seeking to do is to find alternatives to using
 087 number ( is a great help. Barclays have just advised
 me that "....Calls to 0870 number will cost no more than 8p a minute, plus
 6p set-up fee ... for BT customers" Iti'-s a rip off!

 ON a happier note, I am pleased to report another very successful bowling
 season, appearing in no less than 6 finals, and winning 4 of them. It's a
 wonderful pastime for people of all ages, but especially for older folk who
 are having to forsake the sports of youth ...

 Derek Brown ... 
 Many thanks for the newsletter. Len Bovingdon's letter say-
 ing he had read my report on the fate of LMS and BMS brought back memories
 of the many practical trials he did for us on teleprinter rolls, ink ribbons
 and tapes. If I remember correctly the test message started "The quick brown
 fox jumped ..." and I should really remember much more given the huge number
 studied over the years to ensure the print was legible.

 What became of Test Section people none of us heard following our move to
 Birmingham, with contact with LTS people remaining in Studd Street and those
 on detached duty at places such as Crayford being lost. Would it be possible

for one of the former LTS people to write a short report on what happened
to them once Studd Street closed down? I recall some were transferred to
Enfield Factory and the story heard was they were not happy with the move.

I did travel down once to Studd Street in either 1989 or 90 to meet Bernard
Lowndes as we were doing work on Wood Poles for the Technical Owners at
Alban Park. Otherwise, we were in contact with the QA people at North Star
House, with George Mitchell being our principle contact. That ceased follow-
ing the relocation to Martlesham.   With the closure of the Bordesley Green
Fordrough Lane site, some of the Birmingham Test Section people were offered
jobs attached to Procurement Teams at North Star House, and they relocated
their families to the Swindon area. Following this, several were then told
they were surplus to requirements and made redundant. This happened to one
of my former colleagues who elected to work in Swindon rather than Martle-
sham. However, he was then told a mistake had been made and his services
were still required but he would need to apply for his old post. At this
point he told them what they could do with it and went off and got a much
higher paid job in the cable industry'. ....

Dave John ... 
As promised, I have concocted some recollections from my years
in LTS etc ... You may re-call that we had an impromptu fire drill about the
end of the normal lunch break period. On gathering at the appointed fire
point for our group, we found that we were short of Messrs. Barrow & Whitt-
aker. The correct procedure in those circumstances is to report to the co-
ordinating officer that your group is not complete, with details. This I
tried to do, only to find that the fire drill had been held without the co-
ordinating officer present'. By this time, it was obvious that there was no
fire, and it transpired that Steve & Tony were a few minutes late back and
had been locked out at the Studd Street gate by the fire drill procedures.
This left me with three choices, viz.
   Make it a disciplinary matter for the sake of a few minutes.
   Take the two aside informally.        Address the whole group with a
   view to prevention of reoccurrence by either pre-arranging extended
    lunch break, or if stuck somewhere, ringing in, even if that meant
    being later still. At least I could cover it that way.
 I chose the third option, and offened yourself & Pete Davis. I think you saw
 yourselves as being tarred with the same brush. You can please some of the
 people some of the time etc.    We "got away with it" that time because of
 the failure of others, but it taught me one thing. It's vitally important to
 keep someone informed of your whereabouts at all times. If there are people
 missing during an emergency event, what do you do? Spend time looking for
 the authority, go back in and search or let those unaccounted for perish,if
 they are in there.  It stuck with me, and in my last job, I always made a
 point of letting someone know I was leaving the building, even if itwas only
 going into the surrounding grounds. Since I retired from the crematorium, I
 have found it very easy to distance myself from it .... When I left BT, I
 set out to make a clean break, but the memories never faded, and when you
 wrote to ask if I wished to receive the "GEN" I was able to get back into
 the fold. For that I am very grateful ....

 Bill Walker ... 
 In response to your request, I'll tell you about our village
 Harvest Home that we celebrated on the 24th August.
 Basically it is a harvest festival, but very different to those that I have
 known in that about 600 people attend, in a marquee, and all get fedll This
 year it was special because it was the 150th anniversary of continues harv-
 est homes - apart from the war years and foot and mouth. There is a group of
 about 20 people involved in the planning of the event and about 100 helpers
 on the actual day. The planning starts in January, again in March & May then
 monthly until August. After getting permission from the farmer and Somerset
 County Council for use of the fields, everything else has to be booked i.e.
 the marquee, tables, chairs, crockery, the fun fair, toilets, band, speakers
 preachers, evening entertainment etc. and then, the food. This amounts to a
 1201bs cheese, a 6ft x 2ft harvest loaf, 5001bs of meat (salt beef. roa§t
 beef & gammon ham) 80 bowls of salad, 90 Christmas puddings, 2 gallons of
 cream, 60 loaves of bread, butter etc. The drink order is 40 gallons of

cider, 60 gallons of beer and soft drinks.  In total 550 tickets are sold
for the event as well as feeding all the helpers, the band and ambulance
staff.     The day starts with a parade, led by the band, to church for a
service, after this the luncheon commences. There are 12 large tables, at th
the head of each one the carver cuts the meat on to platters and the waiters
deliver it to the guests, there are also waiters for the beer and cider,
this course is followed by the hot Christmas puddings and bread cheese after
they have been paraded through the village. Of course, there is the address
by the Vicar and the local Bishop with speeches from the representatives of
the agricultural industries.

That is the end of the day for many people but the tea still has to be pre-
pared, and the children's sports and fancy dress arranged and judged. After
the crowd had thinned out, the marquee has to be re-arranged for the evening
entertainment i.e. two stages, dressing rooms etc. All in all it is an amaz-
ing day, and one that I feel privileged to have taken part in for the last
6 years.    There are approximately 1500 people living in the village now
and about the time of the WW2 there were 12 working farms in the village,
but now there is just one. So, it is quite astonishing that this tradition
carries on.  There is a long history of when, why, and by whom all this
started but I've gone on long enough, so at this point I will turn off WP.

Wally Spooner ... 
Just a short note to thank you for the "GEN" which I enjoy
even though I was only at Studd Street for a short time (10 years!) in com-
parison to many of your contributors. I have stopped work in the "formal"
sense last year and in common with many retirees, I seem to be too busy to
do anything like getting a job. I spend a lot of time in the U.S. at a place
I have in Florida near Disney - it makes a great break in the winter.
The grand children consume a lot of my tine as I still enjoy sports, body
permitting, and they are very active with 2 of the boys playing Rugby,
mountain hiking with the younger lad - it's all quite strenuos. I still play
a lot of golf competetively and managed to get into the county seniors
played at Sandy Lodge ...

Harry Jenn ... 
A lot more than usual has been happening to us since the beg-
inning of the year. During December we approached a couple of Travel Agents
for quotes to fly to Canada. This would be the third attempt, to visit both
of our families in Canada in June/July/August. Since our last attempt the
Insurers & Airlines have imposed such strict health restrictions, plus the
extremely long flights and airport waits, you have to change aircrafts some-
where as there is no direct flights from S.A.  Betty and I thought it im-
practical and possibly quite traumatic (and after consulting the families,
although disappointed, thought so too) Within a few days, Carol & Gerard
with the children had made a plan to visit us in early June for just over
two weeks. Upon confirmation of the dates we went ahead to find a B.B.guest-
house close by and hire a 6/7 seater car as our cottage and car are too
small to accommodate us all. So, what with the booking and planning, it has
been exciting  but time consuming.  Most of the trips are fairly local, and
although they said they have come to see us, you cannot sit around and talk,
especially when you have young teenagers. They would get very bored.

It would be nearly 6 1/2 years since we said goodbye to them. Fortunately our
youngest son-in-law has sent lots of "growing up pictures" of them, so it
will not come to much of a shock when they arrive. One place we had planned
to take them was the Krugersdorp Game Park (not the much larger Kruger Nat-
ional Park) where they also have the "Big Five".  The owner of the Park was
taking pictyres of the lion compound with a new Digital Video camera given
to hi. by his daughter, got out of his vehicle to get a closer picture of
"his lions" (a rule we are always strongly advised never to do)
One lion came closer and gave him a swipe and floored the man whereupon the
other 10 lions rushed over and mauled him', to death. It has happened to over-
seas visitors and is an isolated event, but these lions are on public disp-
lay and it is now subject to an enquiry, with the possibility of all the
pride being "put to sleep" having tasted human meat, it may cause them to be
more unpredictable. We shall have to wait and see and it may be advisable to
give this Park a miss.  

Ian Torrance
                     How America Went to Southgate
We may take it for granted these days, but the humble Teleph ne was one of
the most revolutionary inventions in the 19th Century and it nearly got
overlooked.  When Alexander Graham Bell first demonstrated the instrument
at an exhibition in Philadelphia, it was regarded by most people as nothing
more than a toy.  Thankfully, the Emperor of Brazil picked up the receiver
and said "It talks" and Bell's fame was assured.

For many of us living north of the Thames, it came as a respite from being
confined to various Groups in Studd Street and the daily routine travelling
to and from Islington, to go to some Contractor's Works for a period of 20
weeks. Apart from the change of scene one got a subsistance rate as well.
One of those places was Group 8 based S.T.C. Southgate in a pleasant suburb
in North London.   Back in the 1960's and 70's the Southgate works consist-
ed of large and small buildings scattered about, each a hive of activity
that dealt with the manufacture of the complete range of telephone exchange
and household telephone equipment.  I was completely overwhelmed on my first
visit there seeing a complex array of workshops employing 100's of people
working on component parts such as selectors, uni-selectors, relays and coil
winding and a host of other items. I remember well being taken around the
works on a tour by Les Roberts.   When J.Taylor & Sons had the 27 acre site
making vehicle engines and went into receivership in 1921, the New Southgate
site was bought by the U.S. company. Western Electric at a bargain price of
£80,000.  Westerns had become one of the largest manufacturers in America.
The 1920's was a decade of immense growth in the telephone industry and the
Post Office in Britain, formed by the goverment to run all the communicat-
ion systems, not only Postal Services, but all the U.K. Telephone and Tele-
graph networks which had the monopoly except for Hull in Yorkshire, who
doggedly maintained its independence to this day. The then P.O. Engineering
Department emphasised that the contracts and manufacturing of all equipment
had to be in Britain and Western Electric Co. at Southgate became one of
the main producers.   But by 1926 Westerns was acquired by the International
Telephone & Telegraph Corporation (I.T.T.) and the deal allowed patents and
manufacture and know how to continue outside America and did so under a
different name being The Standard Telephone Co. (S.T.C.)

In the late 1920's P.O. Engineers and S.T.C. designed and supplied the Long
Wave Radio transmitter Equipment for installation at Rugby.  In their roll
of National Network provider, the P.O. engineers were eager to find ways of
cutting costs and improve the quality of communication. The new Strowger
Automatic exchanges developed in the U.S. seemed the answer, a quicker syst-
em as fewer manual operators were needed.  The main suppliers under licence
for these exchanges were General Electric, Automatic Tele & Siemens Bros.
who were in direct competition to S.T.C. with more major manufacturers it
was necessary to monitor the standard and quality of all the equipment prod-
uced and so P.O. Engineers went to visit the various works including S.T.C.
at Woolwich, South London.

Later on. with falling charges for telephone calls brought about by tech-
nological improvements, more businesses and households wanted to be connec-
ted to the system. The upsurge in demand put pressure on engineers to come
up with more radical ideas. S.T.C. working in close cooperation with its
French Associated Co. Le Material Telephonique, they produced transmission
and reception of Very Short Wave which they termed "Microwave" From that,
S.T.C. and the French connexion produced Pulse Code Modulation (P.C.M.) in
1938. Certainly after WW2 telecommunications went on leaps and bounds. In
1991 S.T.C. was bought by the Canadian global giant - Nortel (Northern Tele-
coms) producing state of the art communication systems.

Who would have thought all those years ago when we tested and inspected equ-
ipment that people of all ages would be walking along a ny street in Britain
talking into hand held mobile phones - now so common and with such small
devices, be able to do text messaging and take photos;  The first hand held
mobile phone was the Motorola Dyna Tac in 1983. How we have advanced over

the years from the days of PABX, 65 Lines Switchboards and the old fashioned
types of Telephone, the 262 and candlestick 150's.
Going to Contractors Works like S.T.C. enabled us to be part of the scene
all those years ago ...

Cliff Bourne ...  
For our birthdays in September, Barbara and I went with
SAGA to Peru - home of the Incas some 600 years ago.We flew from LHR to
Madrid, thence to Lima in Peru with Iberian Airlines some 12 hours in the
air. Customer care was not paramount on the airline's agenda,so be warned.
The first impression one gets during our first stay in Lima was of very few
traffic lights and very many car horns, but very few shunts at the road
junctions. There were two tours, one around the old city founded by Frans-
ico Pizarro in 1535 and one around the modern city, culminating at the Nat-
ional Museum housing artefacts found during excavations. We were surprised
to find that there were at least 3 or 4 civilisations before the Incas who
only came to prominence circa 1400. One of these, according to Spanish
chroniclers, worshipped a strange figure called Viracocha, who was lightly
skinned, and hirsute who created all life there was from Chile up to Boliv-
ia and Columbia. He came after the Flood, had a Christlike figure with
followers and had reed boats like the Egyptians. Initially, the Spaniards
were accepted as descendants of this God, with their beards,cloaks, horses.
We flew south to Arequipa (arry keepay) the name coilles from the Quecha
language meaning 'ok lets stop here' This language is still spoken in the
Andes and in the Amazon.  Again we toured the city and stopped at the Cath-
edral, built on the ruins of an Incan temple, as all the Churches are.

Inside the Cathedral down the sides we saw the trapezoidal windows, wider at
the bottom than the top, built to withstand earthquakes with the locking
stones each made to fit so close to its neighbour that no cigarette paper
could enter. All stones in Inca buildings fitted the same way. Peru is on
 the famous Pacific Rim in the earthquake belt as say California.
From there we flew N.E. to Puno near Lake Titicana around 12,000ft and 270
miles long being the largest fresh water lake at that height. There are
 villages on the lake, which are made from floating reeds, Uros was one such.
Very strange and spongey walking on it. The reeds are added to as the island
sinks and then abandoned when it touches bottom and water comes through. It
was here that we saw smaller but identical reed boats to those they have in
Egypt. The Quecha people also built pyramids like the latter which were not
as durable as they only used mud bricks, adobe style.

The centre of the Inca Empire, down into Argentina and up into Bolivia, was
Cusco north of Puno. It was from here all the famous trails went, along the
mountain tops linking all the Empire. Many archeological sites were seen,
the most impressive was the one at Sacsayhuaman pronounced by me as sexy-
woman. Temple sites either side of a huge parade area with all stones on the
bottom around 50 tons, with very few on top. It was here that they fought
the Spanish until everything was exhausted and they left to fight a final
battle at another site. The stones remaining were too heavy to move by the
"conquerors", one is over 200 tons, thus they can be seen today. Near Cusco
is the awe inspiring Machu-Picchu site at some 6000ft.

The site is reached by train from Cusco in 3 1/2 hours or in 5 or 6 days along
the Inca Trail entering Machu-Picchu fro.m the Sun Gate in the mountains. We
had our first glimpse out of a coach window driven by a Hara Kiri Peruvian.
He felt he had to ascend the 22 bends in something of a record. The site is
5 sqkms and discovered by an American in 1911, untouched by Spanish hands.
Many things amazed me, the number of rooms all roofless, the terraces with
the odd 2000ft drop where you can put the weeds, the water issuing from the
mountain for the last 600 odd years, the sun dial inclined at exactly 13
degrees to the Summer Equinox - also the site is exactly 13 degrees down
from the Equator and finally the fantastic views in any direction - how did
they get these stones, the usual 50 tons or so, up here?

Our last stop was right up north on the Amazon at Iquito (ekeatos) a camp
some 2,300 miles from the mouth of the Amazon and 1300 miles from the source
of the river. It holds apparently 20/25% of all the world's  fresh water,

the river that is not the camp. Every year in May they mark the stairs up to
the Camp, before the river ebbs. We were there at its ebb and it was still
3/4 mile wide, last year it was nearly 2 miles wide in May due to the El
Ninjo effect on the Andean Glaziers. We saw grey dolphins and pink dolphins,
and were taken to a camp, but not the village of a tribe of natives who dem-
onstrated the use of 6ft blow pipes. They were about 4^ft but they hit the
4in pole set up in the clearing, modesty prevents me telling you that I had
one go and did the same and quickly returned the said weapon before I embarr-
assed them.     On our return to the airport at some ungodly hour of the
morning and in the dark, Jack the Lad our boat driver managed to hit a log
in the river and lost his propeller, still musn't grumble. We got back to
LHR some day or other after Lima, but what an experience!
    P.S. I'm off to buy a couple of Alpaccas.

Now follows the third part of lan Boniface's diary.
After the 'Cardboard Box' it was back to the TN Room and the sounds of the
buzzers of the combination test sets. Hands up those who remember themi
Not for long though as I was sent on a Youths A Course at an area training
school in Sydenham. This was great as it was much nearer home and so much
reduced fares to work and we were also paid three shillings (15p) a day sub-
sistence allowance. Suddenly I was rich and to add to my new found wealth we
had a pay rise from 38 shillings a week to 43 shillings.

(I cannot include a picture but the rest of the wording to it is as follows)
... but the other students on the course were mostly from the "Areas" and so
apart from what was taught, we were able to make new friends and learn about
what life was like in other parts of the Post Office. The course itself con-
sisted of learning  about the basics of the telephone network such as cabl-
ing and we did a lot of practical work like Jointing and plumbing under-
ground cables which were lead covered and needed waterproof joints. The best
part was the jointing and tensioning of overhead wires where we learnt how
to climb telegraph poles, -using leg irons, after checking them for rot to
ensure they were safe to climb. These poles were shorter than the real thing
but still gave a feeling for the process. Practicing tensioning the copper
wires and making joints to enable the signal to pass round the pole to the
next section, while suspended at the top of a pole, was quite an experience.
After six weeks of this it was back to Studd Street and spending three hours
a day commuting by train and No.43 bus or underground again. I was still
partnered with Cyril Hawes (poor Cyril), we were teamed up for most but not
all our time as Y2YC's.

My next excursion from Studd Street was to Group 7 Goswell Road where the
Post Office led the world in recycling. The state of the art process for
which the two SE's, Horace Liquorice and Bill Turner and their staff, the
'Graders' were responsible, consisted of applying Rozalex to their hands and
marking items recovered from the 'field' with dabs of coloured paint. The
items to be graded were laid out on tables by Supplies Department staff and
then the graders would examine them to decide how they should be dealt with.
A dab of white paint to indicate reissue (for Supplies Department staff to
clean and put to stock as 'new' green for minor repair by the Factories Dept,
red for major repair and blue for 'old and useless'(sold as scrap). The Fact-
ories Department had a representative in the person of Sammy Dark who would
follow the graders and agree or disaree with the grader's decision. The
triumvirate of Supplies, Factories and Engineering Departments were known as
the Joint Examiners although I never saw anyone examining a joint (Honest
Officer;) Or had the term not been hijacked in those days?

Many years latter I found myself again posted to Group 7 (now at Kidbrook)
as the AEE and Sammy Dark was still the Factories Department representative
although he retired two weeks after I took over. He never said if this was
because of my arrival!

     I hope to conclude Ian's article in the next GEN.

1 Bill Holland     4 lan Torrance   7 John Reynolds
2 Mike Goulding    5 Cyril Hawes    8 Brian Chignall
3 Bob Crampton     6 lan Boniface

This photo, sent in by Pete Parry, had no names on the back.

I only know 2 or 3.

Oddments According to a BBC news sheet there are plans to phase out the traditional lightbulb by 2011, announced by Environment Secretary Hilary Benn.

Bus queue etiquette for students. Foreign language students visiting the Isle of Wight are to be taught how to queue for buses! 8

For those who might be interested "Dave's GEN" will be reprinted on the LTSSAC website together with some pictures of the past at:-

Dave Fairhurst, 31 Roedean Avenue, Enfield, Middx. EN3 5QJ Tel:020 8804 1959

This site, © LTSSAC